.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

 

"Just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in."



Having completed Ironman Malaysia last month, I had thought the remainder 2008 could be dedicated to adventure racing, the sport which I really love. I had put in the triathlon-specific training, but I had put aside almost all AR-related activity for the purpose of giving a good account of myself in Langkawi. Sure, I was fit, but I was longing to return to the dirt from whence I came.

But of course, life can throw you a curveball. And throw it did.

After battling to a third-place finish (with second and first place way, way ahead of me) in the 18-24 age group, I found myself sitting in a conference room the next day where the Hawaii qualification slot roll-downs and presentations were being conducted. The professional athlete slots were called, followed by the youngest age groups. First-placed 18-24 male Yu Shinozaki was present, but declined his Hawaii slot - of which there were only two allotted to our age group. I could scarcely believe my ears, even as runner-up Tim Hancock accepted his slot. Next thing I know I’m rushing to the neighbouring room where the cashier is located, a Hawaii race entry invoice in hand, and a stupid grin on my face. I subsequently find myself apologizing profusely to Dad for a US$500 violation of his credit card account.

Like I told several friends later, it was an American Idol moment. You’ve seen how it goes on television: Paula, Randy and Simon give their approval, some no-name singer repeatedly utters “thank you”, and then promptly goes bananas upon leaving the audition room. It was something similar as I excitedly hobbled down the hotel staircase to tell my Dad and friends that I had got a roll-down slot.

Objectively, I had a poorer finish time in Malaysia compared to my first try at the Ironman distance, more than a year back in Western Australia. Aside from a less-than-ideal race lead-up and being too over-confident on the bike section, groveling for most of the run amidst Langkawi’s heat and humidity was not a pretty sight. In summary, Langkawi humbled me - but I needed that lesson in humility. Clearly, my running is just one of many things I have to improve on if I am to take another shot at Ironman.

On the road now to triathlon’s equivalent of Hollywood, I cannot deny the fact that there was luck involved. Yu, I owe you one, especially after being so thoroughly owned by you at Langkawi. You have – to use the Singlish Hokkien vernacular - the “seh” to qualify for Hawaii, any time and any place.

Now I have the opportunity to make these improvements, to do a ‘personal best’, and to set the record straight with myself. And I am truly grateful for the opportunity to do it at the holiest of holies, the World Championship in Hawaii.

As age group athletes, we are the common people, the proletariats, but also, undeniably, the grassroots and foundation of the sport we love and do. There are common insights shared by us mere mortals. It’s the understanding that despite our best efforts, there will always be someone faster out there. It’s the acceptance that once the race is over it’s back to our regular, ordinary lives. But it’s also the knowledge that we have the permission to dream big.

I never thought I would actually get to go to Hawaii and race the Ironman – it is more just one of those dreams that you have.

But of course, anything is possible.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
You inspire me! =) And i love that quote you have at the top of the page. I have it as one of my postings too! Train hard and good luck for the World Champs!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?