.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 11, 2006

 

Ironmn WA Post-Mortem

Post-race evaluation

Pre-race

- Very relaxed lead-in. Probably the most beneficial… not really used to such an extended taper
- In future, willing to pull a longer taper if conditioning and preparation are on track

Swim

- Amazed with swim timing thanks to good race-day conditions and consistent training. Thought I’d clock 1:10 at best – 1:02+ is really a pleasant surprise
- Warm-up was as per normal pool warm-up: backstrokes + dog paddle + easy freestyle to loosen muscles

T1

- Fumbled a bit pushing bike out. Cut my ankle on the big chainring – next time would be better if I left the chain on the big chainring to be safe
- Did not wear socks – felt ok as I practiced during training

Bike

- Rode very conservatively for whole ride
- Pushed a bit after special needs bag (100km), but still very conservative – felt could have gone a bit harder
- Jelly snakes melted and fell off in the sun!
- Concerned about limiting my losses on the run
- Perhaps got a bit dehydrated as I felt a bit thirsty on the last loop – drank a lot before pulling into T2
- Peed on bike. Must remember to use wet lube for derailler pulleys next time I decide to do this!

T2

- No problems in general. Used lace-up shoes

Run

- Hot!!!
- Happy with run as I did not stop to walk at any point, but felt I could have gone under 4 hours with more awareness of how to approach a marathon, as well as more consistent training and conditioning
- Pacing was on track for first 20km, but started to drop the pace as I felt hotter and hotter
- Unknown territory on the last lap (28km completed) – haven’ done runs longer than 30km prior to this – first-ever marathon after all!
- Started to hurt on last lap (14km to go) – inner quads sore, but rest of body feeling OK from ample nutrition and electrolytes on the bike
- Tried to run backwards a couple of times to work out soreness
- Tried to sip Gatorade for additional electrolytes, but that was out of desperation really
- Caffeine really works towards last 10km: Cola + caffeine gels are the go for me
- Things I regretted not having with me: Electrolytes, hat!!! Hot!!!

Post-race

- Regretted not getting that post-race massage
- Sore ankle from chainring cut – blood clotting and bruising has gone down after a couple of days

Comments:
Great year mate. Looking forward to this year with more anticipation. And you are still everyone's favourite LEG SHAVING fly boy. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?